Friday 5 June 2009

British Summer Time

Well June is here but really it should be re branded February, because the temperature has plummeted, as it did last year when we were at Weymouth. An event notable only for its pure misery. I read the other day that apparently the month of June is known as the month with the the most number of marriages in the UK.

Which is logical as sharing bodily warmth is a recognised way of preventing hypothermia.

And it was Weymouth Moth open this weekend too. The WPNSA, under construction when we were there last, is now finished and I've never seen so many ramps. It was windy Saturday and as I struggled to hold my boat on the concrete I knew we were in for a wild ride. Launching into the harbour hid the worst of it, but when we got round the corner, bang! A full and lump 25 knots hit us, the wind was OK, but the waves, coming through the two gaps in in the harbour wall made the sea confused and aggressive.

My immediate thoughts were "what the hell am I doing out in this with only two weeks to the Europeans?" and, as I looked across at Adam I silently pleaded with him to say we should go in. Downwind I was very solid in an "oh shit" kind of a way. It was almost fun, and I might have laughed out loud if I hadn't been frozen through fear... and cold.

Almost fortunately though the webbing that I'd replaced the kicker rope with, in order for it to be kinder to the boom, took its role rather too seriously and broke. That meant I could go it. And escaped any real damage save the obligatory destroyed tramp on the concrete ramp.

I love the Moth class, It's cool that everyone is still there waiting for the next boat home, whether under its own steam or being towed, our own version of the Battle of Britain spirit. Next came Rod, wild eyed and laughing, then Andrew Friend, rig less, then Jason Russell, rig less, then Olivier Vidal, err rig less.. But no one had told Moth new boy James Phare that you should do anything other than sail in that, and he came back a bit shot up but still airworthy. The next ace in was Robin Wood, Moth World Champion in 1983 and 1984, then Mike Cook, then Adam next who had to drift the entire length of the harbour as without a wand, he couldn't get down wind. The rest all came back and last man home was Mike Lennon, who won the the race but I think Paul Hayden and Jason also managed to finish.

I couldn't make yesterday, but apparently it was lighter. Mike Cook won two, Adam the last one in a light semi foiling fickle breeze. Mike Cooke won overall, Mike Lennon second and Adam third. Next stop Europeans in Denmark.

6 comments:

Fred said...

uuuhps, what a harsh reminder about the EC coming up so soon now! After having had a bad day on Friday, i am waiting for some spare parts now.
smoth sailing!

Anonymous said...

Need to get yourself a better boat!

Simon Payne said...

Oh really....

Anonymous said...

Oh yes. . . .

Priya5 said...

hi,

I wanted to know would you be interested in writing an article for our magazine India Boating.

Simon Payne said...

Yes of course. Please contact me at sales@mach2boats.com