Monday 24 May 2010

Time Lord



The Mothfest at Alan Hilman's Pro Vela facility on the Mar Menor proved to be a good little event. I enjoyed the coaching and found helping sailors to improve as they battled to fly in the anarchy of earths lowest orbit very satisfying. Unencumbered by the unsavoury business of winning the dinghy park had a more relaxed air about it as people found their own pace.
I was there only until Wednesday night and then we went to a nice hotel for the remainder of the week where to my surprise I found it very easy to spend all day by the pool. I resisted the temptation to go back to see the guys, although I did allow my mind to wonder away from the serious business of sunbathing and speculate at will. At one moment it was readdressing the issue of the effect of rig tension (inconclusive) and yet on the other it was trying to determine if breakfast was included in the room rate (it was).
We tried golf which was fun and we read lots. Inspired by Alain de Botton's book "The Art of Travel" I though of the different Moth sailors you get, and concluded that (given mine was due) there should be lower insurance premiums for the wild eyed survival types who spend their whole time ignoring the moment and thinking "what the f**ks going to happen next" versus the ones who are so blissfully happy in the "here and now" and at one with their poetic souls that their equipment unexpectedly, yet regularly meets its demise by twatting solid objects at 20 knots. I may suggest this behavioral segmentation to Bishop Skinner and see where it gets me.
Andrew McDougall was another year older at the weekend, and presumably another year faster. A real Time Lord. Happy Birthday mate.

2 comments:

phillippe oligario said...

Your eloquent writing style suggests that perhaps having now dominated the moth world for some time, you are perhaps turning your attention to the literary world?

Cheers,

Phil

K said...

Phil, Simon is showing his age and wisdom, trying to get a head start on the blog champs as I hear that this championship will be reinstated for the 2011 World Champs, bedazzling display of writing old chap!